Working Traveller is focused on the long-term needs of travellers – and hosts and bringing them together.
- For now, people living alternative lifestyles are using volunteer sites to get people to help them with harvests and so on. Working Traveller is taking this one step further and will, over time, provide the online tools and awareness needed to connect all kinds of people, not just owners of farms and hostels. Housewives, office workers, NGOs, anyone needing specific skills at certain times of the year they cannot find locally.
- It is becoming easier and easier to work in remote locations around the world while connected to the internet. More and more people need workers with the skills to help them set up their farms, homes, or shacks on the beach, but in time, having become aware of this way of working, they will start to use the vast talent resource moving around the world to work within their business plans. This means using Working Travellers at the core of their offerings and not just to build a new barn or collect apples.
Building a Wiki for Working Travellers
- We are committed to building the Work Wiki portion of the Working Traveller site called Work Wiki so it can provide travellers with the information they need – to work their way around the world.
- As we get feedback from travellers and hosts around the world, we will look to provide better services in the future for making the complicated procedure of finding the right person at the right time as easy as possible, to as many people as possible.
- We are committed to building a service that works for travellers… and travellers use smart phones. In the next three years, more than a billion more people will be using their mobiles for while travelling and it has already become the main tool for travellers to make their way around the world.
- Apps for Android and iPhone are on their way. They will provide even more functionality than the website, allowing you to manage all your work placements and to book up new ones while on the move.
Guidelines for using Working Travellers
- Having a few people help out with the apple collecting is one thing. Integrating working travellers into the core of what you do is another thing.
- The saying “practice what you preach” is very true and we are doing this here at the Village Hotel, where Working Traveller is based in the summer months.
- As we make mistakes and learn from them, we will add our findings to the site for the benefit of both hosts who have never used Working Travellers and Travellers, so they can set up a system that works well for them and the travellers.