Work In? Helps You Plan Your Trip Around the World
There are untold searches for “Work in ___” and Working Traveller wants to help answer these questions.
You have Lonely Planet, Hostelworld and Tripadvisor to help you decide where your mum will think is cool to visit. Work in? is here to help you decide where in the world to get the work you want with the skills you have.
There are about 49,000 pages in the Work in? section, covering each region/county in the world. However, they are not all up to date. It is a huge task, but like all ideas, they have to start somewhere.
- We’d love to have you help and invite you to fill in any information you have gained on your travels. Updating the section is paying it forward to help other travellers.
- In return, they will help you plan your next trip by offering the information they acquired when they worked in the places you are going to.
What is each page is for?
- You want to negotiate with a host and you have no idea what the going rate is for the skills you have in their region. So you come here, you look on the county or regional page in Work in? and see what has been recommended by other travellers. If there is a not rating yet, be sure to spend a few minutes casting your vote once you have been there and know the score.
- If you have never been there, you have NO idea about what work is there or about visas, etc. The Country pages are a great place to check (or update!) to find the info you need to know before making plans to visit the area for work.
- If you live there…. you might not be an expert on the subject, but you will have a much better idea than someone who has never been there. Fill in what you know and do your bit for the community.
- You are a traveller, you might have come through an area a year ago – or even better, last week. You did a bit of work or just sat on the beach, either way you got an idea of costs and attitudes to foreigners working in the area.
- Did you go on a guided tour in the famous cave and no one spoke english?
- Don’t underestimate the knowledge you have for the places you have been.
- Log into your profile and go to any of the counties you have been and add in what information you can. Every word you edit gets you an editing point that shows in your profile. Get 2,000 and you’ll get a free upgrade to full membership.
You are thinking of going to a region of a country you know nothing about. There are 100’s of pages of what it looks like and hotels in the area on the internet, but what’s it like to get work there? Is it possible? What’s the attitude to foreigners? Is spring the best time? Is there a cave there that needs 50 people a year that speak English in August to do guided tours?
- As each traveller casts their vote in the Work In section, and each host in the area agrees or disagrees and casts theirs, we will acquire over time a fairly accurate cost projection for your bed, bread and beer.
- If you want to know more about barter points have a look at the page in the traveller section on Barter Points.
Would you like to help with editing the Work in? section?
- Have your travelled to a country that has not had much attention on Working Traveller yet?
- Maybe you have been working in some off beat places and you could share the knowledge you have learnt by editing the Work in? section and earn yourself a free membership upgrade?
- Are you an armchair traveller who wants to get out there but can’t yet?
If you are passionate about your country and would like to join our little network of editors then please apply to be a moderator for your country or where you have been on the relevant page in the Work In? section.