The Old School Hostel in Wales Needs a Volunteer CoupleThe Old School Youth Hostel, in the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, UK, is looking for a volunteer couple to help them run and keep up the hostel. Sue and Chris as in their late-forties & early fifties – after spending a year volunteering around Britain, they settled down in Wales and run their 7 bedroom hostel, which caters for walkers, groups, and families. They aim to be as environmentally conscious as possible, and the hostel is also quirky and characterful. To apply for this work, just fill out your brief profile and message the Old School Hostel by clicking on their work posting. Once you’ve agreed on when you’ll be coming, initiate a Handshake!
What Kind of Work?Work begins at 9 a.m. in the morning and at about 1 p.m. you’ll eat lunch together. After lunch there is about an hour’s more work. They need help with:
- Repairs and maintenance around the hostel
- Work in the garden, and also watering plants and helping with the vegetables, compost making and other jobs.
- Daily work making bedding and beds, washing, drying and folding laundry, cleaning basins, showers and toilets, vacuuming and cleaning kitchens.
- They do a lot of recycling and composting.
- Laying out the simple self-service breakfast for the hostellers in the evening.
Workers Will EnjoyThe Old School Hostel will provide food and accommodation in return for 5 hours work a day 5 days a week.
- The accommodation is a room in the owners’ home. It has a double bed and en-suite shower room.
- You are also able to use the kitchen and lounge in the hostel.
- You’ll eat breakfast and lunch together in the owners’ home.
- They also provide food for you to cook for yourselves in the hostel in the evening.
- They provide local & organic food wherever possible. Their diet is vegetarian plus fish.
- Helpers can buy and cook their own meat dishes in the hostel.
The Old School Hostel is located in a remote spot and a is great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of modern life. It’s the perfect place if you like the great outdoors; fantastic scenery, plant, bird and wildlife and it is an ideal location for walking, surfing, sketching and just contemplating life.
How Do I Get This Work?
It’s easy! Join Working Traveller by signing up in one click.
Just fill out your brief profile and message the Old School Hostel by clicking on their work posting. Once you’ve agreed on when you’ll be coming, initiate a Handshake!
Want to be a Working Traveller? Join as a Host or a Volunteer with just a click!
Charlotte @ Working Traveller
Charlotte is the Working Traveller Host Support Manager. She loves to travel and is currently wandering through Eastern Europe, accepting drinks from locals, riding trains, and str